HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued throughout the Hampton Roads region and surrounding area Monday afternoon.
According to WAVY News Chief Meteorologist Don Slater, there were numerous warnings throughout the region. Localities with warnings included Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, Gloucester, Gates County, York County and more.
By 6:45 p.m., those thunderstorm warnings had cleared in southeastern Virginia and eastern North Carolina.
WAVY’s Don Slater says the thunderstorms developed rapidly this afternoon along the Interstate 95 corridor — rapid development is a sign the storms are large.
Some storms that were farther south, into southern Suffolk, Chesapeake and Gates County too. started to weaken and get a little more fragmented around 4:30 p.m.
There were also numerous instances of lighting throughout the area.
BELOW: Pea-sized hail in Williamsburg. (Courtesy: WAVY viewer Gerrit Irish)
- PHOTOS: New Springmaid Pier designed to survive Cat 4 storm
- Man killed after being shot and run over by car; juvenile girl charged with murder
- World War II Vet and grandson share graduation stage in a touching moment
- LIST: Where you’ll quarantine if traveling to or from South Carolina
- FL Sheriff: ‘I’ll deputize gun owners if violent protests erupt’