HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — For the second weekend in a row, winter weather is making its mark on Hampton Roads.
Due to the potentially hazardous conditions, several local events, including COVID-19 clinics have been canceled as a precaution. Some services are listed separately on the WAVY.com Closings & Delays page, which are manually added by the organizations and businesses. View that full list at this link.
We’ll continue to update this list as we hear from other cities and event organizers.
COVID-19 VACCINATION AND TESTING CLINICS
NEWPORT NEWS and NORFOLK
The COVID-19 Community Vaccination and Testing Centers at Sherwood Shopping Center in Newport News and Military Circle Mall in Norfolk are closing at 4 p.m. on Friday, January 28 and will remain closed Saturday, January 29 and Sunday, January 30 due to expected inclement weather. You can reschedule your testing appointment at this link: https://vase.vdh.virginia.gov/testingappointment
The Virginia Beach Department of Public Health has decided to cancel the vaccine and testing clinics scheduled for Saturday, January 29 at Brandon Middle and New Hope Baptist Church. If you have an appointment, you will be contacted by email about the canceled clinic(s). Testing and vaccination clinics will reopen next week starting Tuesday February 1. Visit here to find locations and appointment links.
HAMPTON ROADS TRANSIT
Hampton Roads Transit says it is suspending service on Saturday, January 29 because of the winter storm conditions. There will be no bus, light rail, paratransit or ferry service.
Hampton Roads Transit will resume regular service starting Sunday, January 30 at 10 a.m.
Only mission-essential personnel are to report to Navy installations in Hampton Roads on Saturday, Jan. 29 and Sunday, Jan. 30, due to anticipated hazardous winter weather conditions.
This order applies to the following installations:
• Naval Air Station Oceana (including Dam Neck Annex and Naval Auxiliary
Landing Field Fentress)
• Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story
• Naval Station Norfolk
• Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads (including Headquarters Annex,
Portsmouth Annex, Northwest Annex and Lafayette River Annex)
• Naval Weapons Station Yorktown (including headquarters and Cheatham
• Norfolk Naval Shipyard (including Scott Center Annex and St. Juliens Creek
- The Winter Engagement Bridal Expo event scheduled for Sunday, January 30 at The Chesapeake Conference Center has been rescheduled to Sunday, February 6 due to the weather.
- Tolls on the Dominion Blvd Veterans Bridge were suspended at 1:00 a.m. this morning due to deteriorating road conditions.
- Tolls on the Chesapeake Expressway were suspended at 9:30 p.m. last night at the end of the last shift for the safety of our employees.
- Chesapeake Public Libraries and Community Centers are CLOSED on Saturday and Sunday.
The Newport News Recovery Operations Center and all libraries and community centers will be closed on Saturday, Jan. 29. Other closures include the Visitor Center and campsite office at Newport News Park and city historic sites.
- Tidewater Community College will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, January 28. All in-person and online classes and activities are canceled. TCC will remain closed on Saturday, January 29.
- Scheduled activities at Old Dominion University may be adjusted on Saturday, January 29. Reach out to the event organizer to confirm whether your activity is still scheduled. Students taking classes on Saturday will be contacted by their professors to make alternative arrangements. Essential personnel should report for duty as normal, unless advised otherwise by their supervisor. Other personnel may need to report for duty as requested by their supervisor. Students parking on campus are asked to move their vehicles from surface parking lots or side streets to a parking garage. Click here for more information on ODU operations.
- Rec centers, libraries, and the Norfolk Animal Care Center will open at their regular operating hours Saturday. The Slover Library will open at 10 a.m. SevenVenues performances amd the Norfolk Admirals’s schedule will go on as planned Saturday.
- All remaining weekend performances of Jersey Boys at Chrysler Hall are moving forward as scheduled.
- Portsmouth Public Libraries, recreation centers of the Department of Parks and Recreation, and all Portsmouth Museums will be closed through the weekend with no operating hours on Saturday, January 29, and Sunday, January 30.
- The Portsmouth Museums Black History Now program, Java and Djembes, has been rescheduled for Saturday, March 19, at 1:30 p.m.
- The Saturday Portsmouth Olde Towne Farmers Market has been canceled. The next Market is scheduled for Saturday, February 5.
- Suffolk facilities will be closed on Saturday due to the impact of winter weather
- Facility closures include Recreation Centers, North Suffolk Library, Morgan Memorial Library, Suffolk Visitor Center, Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum, Suffolk Art Gallery, and the Suffolk Executive Airport.
- Additionally, all Suffolk Parks & Recreation athletic programs are cancelled for Saturday January 29.
- Suffolk Transit has been supended on Saturday. The decision for Monday, January 31 will be made on Sunday, January 30.
- Suffolk facilities with regular Sunday operating hours will be open.
Closings and Delayed Openings on Sunday, Jan. 30
- The Virginia Aquarium will open at 10 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 30.
- Rec centers will remain closed on Sunday, Jan. 30 due to icy road conditions in neighborhoods.
- Virginia Beach Public Library locations are closed, as usual on Sundays.
- City parks will remain closed on Sunday, Jan. 30.
- The Thoroughgood House will be closed on Sunday, Jan. 30.
- Hampton Roads Transit will resume regular service at 10 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 30. Services will include local bus, The Tide light rail, Elizabeth River Ferry and paratransit services. HRT will operate a normal Sunday schedule. Expect possible delays as operators navigate their routes. For more information, please visit gohrt.com or call 757-222-6100.
- Onsite inamte visitation is unavailable Sunday at the Virginia Beach Correctional Center due to icy conditions. Phone calls and web-based video visitation are not affected.
- All eight solid waste Convenience and Recycling Centers in Currituck County will be closed on Saturday, January 29, 2022. The facilities will reopen on Sunday, January 30 if the weather and road conditions allow.
- The Solid Waste Transfer Station in Currituck County will be closed on Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 29-30.
- The Moyock Welcome Center and the Corolla Visitors Center will be closed on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022.
- The Wright Brothers National Memorial in Manteo and the visitor centers at Fort Raleigh National Historic Site and Bodie Island Light Station will not open Saturday, Jan. 29 until 12 p.m., possibly later. From Jan. 29-30, visitors should check park websites and social media for operational updates prior to traveling to the parks. Visitors can also sign up to receive text alerts by texting NPSOBX to 333111.