(WAVY) – You should know your zone ahead of any big storm. Emergency management labels zones alphabetically from A to D. Zone A has the highest risk for flooding.
The zone map shows Zone A in blue, B in green, C in orange, and D in red.
Emergency officials may evacuate neighborhoods based on zone in the event of a major storm.
The zones cover Hampton Roads, the Middle Peninsula, the Eastern Shore and the Northern Neck.
The 23 localities covered in the zone map include: the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach; counties of Accomack, Essex, Gloucester, Isle of Wight, James City, Lancaster, Mathews, Middlesex, Northampton, Northumberland, Richmond County, Surry, Westmoreland, York, and the town of Chincoteague.
To check your address click here.
Latest Weather News
- Map shows early frigid blast sweeping half the country
- 100,000 in Southern California forced to evacuate after blaze grows
- Blog: Rain Wrapping Up, Update on Zeta
- Blog: Rain continues Sunday night, drizzle Monday, watching Zeta
- Tropical Storm Zeta forecast to intensify into hurricane as it enters Gulf