NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – The Norfolk-based USNS Comfort ‘floating hospital’ is heading to New York City to give aid during the coronavirus outbreak. The Comfort would be used to treat patients with other medical needs and not those diagnosed with COVID-19, the Navy emphasized.
The Comfort, which has about 1,000 beds, is currently in port for routine maintenance, and had yet to officially receive deployment orders as of noon Wednesday, per Navy spokesperson LaShawn Sykes with Military Sealift Command.
- Redskins coach Ron Rivera talks about potential draft scenarios
- Retired D.C. firefighter dies of COVID-19, family remembers him as a hero
- IOW family using social media to help make cloth masks
- Virginia’s secretary of finance says future uncertain
- Local dialysis patients increasingly concerned as pandemic spreads