No one was hurt after a small fire broke out Monday morning on the new John F. Kennedy (CVN 79) aircraft carrier docked at Newport News Shipbuilding. The carrier was evacuated around 10:15 a.m. after the fire was reported. Shipyard officials say emergency personnel responded quickly to extinguish the flames and no one was hurt. We saw no smoke from Chopper 10. Newport News Shipbuilding is investigating the fire.
Massive Apartment Fire
Drone 10 flew over a 2-alarm apartment complex on Maize Drive in Virginia Beach this week that heavily damaged 16 units Tuesday night. When units first arrived on scene, they reported heavy smoke showing through the roof. 22 adults and nine children have been displaced. The exact cause of the fire is under investigation. Virginia Beach fire officials believe the cause may have been accidental. No one was hurt.
Touch and Goes
The lens of Chopper 10 caught a presidential plane doing touch and goes at the Newport News/Williamsburg Airport earlier this week. It is a United States Air Force plane used for flying top U.S. leaders around the world.
Ferries in Service
And lastly, a look at the Elizabeth River ferries that travel between North Landing and High Street in Portsmouth and the Waterside District in downtown Norfolk. They operate every 30 minutes. It’s a fun way to make it across the Elizabeth River.
- Eli Lilly COVID-19 antibody drug prevents illness among residents and staff of nursing homes, study finds
- Wrong engine was shut down in plane crash that killed Langley airman, investigation finds
- Newsfeed Now: Pres. Biden’s first full day in office, first White House rescue dog could increase pet adoptions
- ‘She did not die from COVID’: Son says cause of mother’s death inaccurate
- Drew Brees’ wife discloses unknown injuries plaguing Saints QB throughout season