SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) announced closures at the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT) starting in early October.
The planned closures are to support paving operations. The closures will be one direction at a time, over the course of two weekends.
The project started Friday, Oct. 2, at 9 p.m. with all southbound lanes of I-664 on the MMMBT closed until Sunday night around 10 p.m. when they reopened. The closure ended early due to the crew finishing paving ahead of schedule.
The full extended closure of all northbound lanes of I-664 MMMBT began Friday, Oct. 9, at 9 p.m. and lasted until Sunday around 2 p.m. when they reopened. The closure ended early due to the crew finishing paving ahead of schedule.
VDOT says the maintenance activities are weather-dependent. Detours will be in place for motorists who need to travel in these areas during the closure.
Motorists should use the Route 17 James River Bridge or the I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel as alternate routes.
I-664 MMMBT South Detours:
- Exit onto 26th St.
- Turn right onto Washington Ave.
- Turn right onto 29th St.
- Turn left onto Warwick Blvd.
- Turn left onto Route 17/258 south towards James River Bridge.
- Follow Route 17 towards I-664.
- End at I-664 South
I-664 MMMBT North Detours:
- Exit onto Route 17 North Bridge Road.
- Follow Route 17 towards the James River Bridge.
- Exit onto Route 60 East.
- Turn left onto 34th St.
- Stay left towards I-664 exits
- End at I-664 north.
Stay with WAVY.com for more local traffic updates.
- Following the Funds: Why is so much money being spent on one NC state Senate race?
- Virginia Beach residents frustrated by internet outages after network upgrade
- The cost of COVID-19 hospital care and surprise bills
- AAA warns Halloween weekend brings triple safety threat
- More than 50 Lee monument neighbors join the fight to take it down