(WAVY) — As we near the end of July, we welcome new road work projects while celebrating some long awaited conclusions of others. Before we get to your Traffic in the News headlines, here’s a list of closures that may impact your commute.
Construction & Closures
Depending on where you’re heading, you’re likely using a major highway, tunnel or bridge. With that in mind, these major construction updates or notifications are organized by road or structure. If it’s not a full/continuous closure, or it’s happening in the 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. timeframe, we won’t make a written mention of it. Details courtesy of The Virginia Department of Transportation.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures southbound July 26 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closures beginning at 9 p.m., with brief, intermittent stoppages from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Southbound July 25 and July 28
- Northbound July 26-27
High Rise Bridge, I-64:
- Single-lane closure eastbound July 26-27 from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Continuous, full closure of the I-64 east off-ramp to George Washington Highway (exit 296A) remains in place though July 24.
- Full closure of the off-ramp from I-64 east to Military Highway (exit 297A) as well as the on-ramp from Military Highway to I-64 east July 30 and July 31 beginning as early as 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. Ramps will be closed sequentially and not at the same time.
I-64, Express Lanes:
- Full closure in both directions:
- July 24 from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Consecutively starting June 30 at 9 a.m. through July 31 at 6:30 p.m.
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on the I-264 east collector-distributor lanes (outside set) at Newtown Road (exit 15A) July 24-30 from as early as 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) July 24-30 from 7 p.m. until as late as 10 a.m.
- Double-lane closures on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (exit 16) to Newtown Road (exit 15) from July 22 at 9 p.m. to July 25 at 5 a.m. and from July 29 at 9 p.m. to Aug. 1 at 5 a.m.
- Continuous, single-lane closure on I-264 east from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) from July 29 at 9 p.m. to Aug. 1 at 5 a.m.
- Alternating, full closure of on-ramps to I-264 west July 26-30 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.: (ramps will not be closed simultaneously):
- On-ramp from Frederick Boulevard north to I-264 west
- On-ramp from Frederick Boulevard south to I-264 west
- On-ramp from Portsmouth Boulevard to I-264 west
- Alternating, full closure of the off-ramps from I-264 west July 26-30 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.: (ramps will not be closed simultaneously):
- I-264 west to Frederick Boulevard (exit 5)
- I-264 west to Portsmouth Boulevard (exit 4)
- I-264 west to Victory Boulevard (exit 3)
I-664, Hampton/Newport News:
- Alternating, full closure of on-ramps to I-664 south July 24-30 starting as early as 9 p.m. to as late as 10 a.m.: (ramps will not be closed simultaneously)
- On-ramp from Powhatan Parkway to I-664 south
- On-ramp from Aberdeen Road to I-664 south
- On-ramp from Roanoke Avenue to I-664 south
- Alternating, full closure of off-ramps from I-664 south July 24-30 starting as early as 9 p.m. to as late as 10 a.m.: (ramps will not be closed simultaneously)
- I-664 south to Power Plant Parkway / Powhatan Parkway (exit 2)
- I-664 south to Aberdeen Road (exit 3)
- I-664 south to Chestnut Avenue (exit 4)
Traffic in the News
- New High Rise Bridge opens to traffic
- NC law enforcement cracking down on speeding this week
- Route 671 reopens in Southampton Co after completion of bridge replacement project
- 2 dead after fiery multi-vehicle crash on Route 58 in Southampton Co.
- How to change a tire
- Why you have foggy headlights and how to fix them
- Route 58 speed limit lowered amid widening project
10 is On Your Side with the lowest gas prices near you. With some prices dropping below that four dollar price tag, click here to find the closest sub-four dollar gas costs.
Stay with WAVY.com for more local news, weather and traffic.