ISLE OF WIGHT CO., Va. (WAVY) – The driver of a tractor-trailer that overturned in Isle of Wight County Monday morning has been charged with reckless driving.
Virginia State Police were called to the scene of the accident on Route 460 near Cut Thru Road just after 8:30 a.m.
The tractor-trailer was hauling liquid aluminum sulfate, which is a corrosive material.
That hazmat material did not spill, but the truck leaked about 100 gallons of diesel fuel, according to State Police.
Route 460 had to be shut down to traffic in both directions for several hours as crews work to clean up the spill and clear the scene. VDOT crews are redirecting traffic at Route 638. There was also a detour in place from Rt. 460 to Rt. 258 north to Rt. 620 West back to 460.
The accident was cleared and Route 460 reopened just after 1 p.m., a little over 4 hours after the it happened.
The driver, Arrick Chaffin of Nottoway, Virginia, was not hurt, but has been charged.
Stay with WAVY News 10 for updates.
- Police looking for two women accused of stealing from Virginia Beach liquor store
- Police looking for repeat offender accused of stealing from liquor stores
- 2020 Ferguson North American Sand Soccer Championships canceled this year
- Norfolk Police asking for help identifying men who broke into convenience stores
- Williamsburg Police looking for person who didn’t pay for 7-Eleven items