NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Construction is planned to continue as part of the I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project and on May 2, part of the southbound side of Newtown Road will experience periodic closures.
The closures are scheduled to occur nightly from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and continuously on the weekends from 7 p.m. on Fridays through 5 a.m. on Mondays, according to a statement released.
Detour signs will be in place to direct traffic around the closures via Center Drive and Kempsville Road before driving back on to Newtown Road. Additional signage will direct traffic to use I-264 west, I-64 east, and I-264 east before re-accessing Newtown Road at exit 15.
During this time, the northbound side of Newtown Road will close to one lane and no detour however, left turns onto Center Drive will be restricted.
The work is part of extending the I-264 collector-distributor lanes and the detour should be lifted in mid-June, as weather and schedule allow.
More information about the project can be found online.
- Thousands out of work, but sales tax revenue up for some localities. Leaders point to Supreme Court
- Scott, Graham meet with SCOTUS nominee on Capitol Hill
- Hillary Clinton responds to ‘would you shut up, man’ moment at presidential debate
- Hampton Roads Regional Jail correctional officer dies from COVID-19
- VDOT announces extended closures for I-664 MMBT paving operations