SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — 9 drivers were issued summons after 11 vehicles crashed inside the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel on Tuesday afternoon, shutting down all northbound lanes and injuring one person, police said.
Virginia State Police said the injuries reported are not considered life-threatening.
State dispatchers said the call reporting the crash came in at 3:34 p.m. Tuesday. There were actually two crashes of 5 and 6 vehicles, police say. 9 people in total were issued summons for following too closely.
By 6:40 p.m., the scene had been cleared.
- Conservation group helps preserve historic Portsmouth land
- Promising solution on the horizon for sewer system problems for Moyock community
- “I still think it’s ridiculous;” Why do Norfolk State and ODU rarely meet?
- Florida Sen. Rick Scott promises uphill battle for Biden’s Cabinet picks
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries following Coliseum Dr. shooting in Hampton