SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — 9 drivers were issued summons after 11 vehicles crashed inside the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel on Tuesday afternoon, shutting down all northbound lanes and injuring one person, police said.
Virginia State Police said the injuries reported are not considered life-threatening.
State dispatchers said the call reporting the crash came in at 3:34 p.m. Tuesday. There were actually two crashes of 5 and 6 vehicles, police say. 9 people in total were issued summons for following too closely.
By 6:40 p.m., the scene had been cleared.
- Country music star leaves $1,000 tip for waitress working a double while caring for her daughter
- Toy stores warn Christmas supply could be low
- Limited availability, high demand send seafood prices skyrocketing
- New Russian lab briefly knocks space station out of position
- ‘I didn’t quit’: Simone Biles responds to criticism