VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) – At one point, the Virginia Beach School Board considered canceling the high school Winter sports season. Instead, with little time to spare, Virginia Beach will move ahead with an abbreviated season, giving area athletes something to be excited about.
“I’ve gotten several phone calls from parents saying their kids are smiling from ear to ear now,” said Victoria Manning, a member of the school board.
Manning has been pushing hard, trying to get students back in school and athletes back to competition. “Quite frankly I think our kids are safer in school and safer in school sports,” she said.
Basketball, indoor track, swimming and diving, and wrestling will all begin practices as early as Wednesday.
- Virginians are traveling to North Carolina for COVID-19 vaccinations, and they’re receiving them
- North Carolinians wait for unemployment benefits as state, feds implement new law
- With some of NC’s COVID numbers improving, now comes the wait for drops in lagging indicators
- 2 men dead after shooting, crash on Settlers Landing Road in Hampton
- Now you can put Bernie Sanders anywhere, thanks to NYU student’s website