(CNN) — Tom Brady — widely regarded as the greatest quarterback in history — is expected to sign a contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
That’s according to reports from the NFL Network and ESPN.
The long-time New England Patriot becomes a free agent at 4 p.m. Wednesday.
The departure ends one of the most successful partnerships in sports.
On his social media accounts earlier Tuesday he wrote, “I don’t know what my football future holds but it is time for me to open a new stage.”
He also thanked the team’s supporters.
Brady has spent his entire NFL career with the patriots. That includes winning a whopping six Super Bowls.
The 42-year-old has repeatedly said in recent years he wants to play until the age of 45.
In the last off-season, the Patriots and Brady could not agree on a deal for a contract extension.
- Fireworks retailer warns of July 4 shortage: Here are the states where it’s legal to stock up
- Video: Man accidentally shoots himself in face at gun range
- Blog: Heating Up This Weekend. Possible Flooding On The Gulf Coast.
- Daredevil Alex Harvill dies while attempting world-record motorcycle jump
- Why is dental cosmetic surgery now considered the ‘new boob job’