NORFOLK (WAVY) -- At Old Dominion's annual Big Blue BBQ awards ceremony, Athletic Director Wood Selig surprised the crowd when he announced that he and head coach Jeff Jones have agreed to a contract extenstion that will keep him in Norfolk through the 2023-24 season.
Over the last five years, Jones has won 72 percent of his Conference USA games, the best in the league. During that same five year span, only 19 of 353 Division 1 programs have more wins than Old Dominion.
This past season, ODU went 26-9 and won its first Conference USA regular season and tournament championship and went to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in nine years.
"When we looked at the body of work over the last five years with coach Jones and our staff turned in, it was hard to argue against not wanting to solidify coach Jones well into the future," Selig said.
Jones wanted to get the deal out of the way, in part to squash any specualtion about his future.
"In some ways, it kind of signals that I don't intend to go anywhere," Jones said. "I don't have any intention to retire, I don't know how those rumors really got started. I'm looking for a lot more success and hopefully a number of years of getting back to the NCAA Tournament."
Jones also announced that Aaron Carver and Xavier Green would be next season's co-captains.
Diakite becomes fourth Virginia...
Top college bball players playing here
- Southern Storm Watch: Preparing for upcoming severe weather starting Friday
- In a surprise move, Isle of Wight board kills juvenile justice center proposal
- Trying to get to Something in the Water? Here are transit and parking options
- BLOG: Strong Storms possible Friday night
- Green Beret died during parachute training exercise in Suffolk, officials say
- Historians push to preserve US service members' gravestones in Hampton Roads
- Report: Trump tried to seize control of Mueller probe