NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – The ongoing threat of coronavirus has prompted the cancellation of another major local event.
In an effort to protect the well-being of players, staff and fans, the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) announced Thursday afternoon that it is suspending the rest of its Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournament at the Scope Arena in Norfolk.
The tournament has been underway at the Norfolk Scope Arena since Tuesday.
A MEAC official said this decision was made “to protect the well-being of the participants, staffs and spectators in light of the ongoing Coronavirus threat.”
Fans who purchased tickets to the MEAC Basketball Tournament for games which have not been played should contact the venue through which they made their purchase for refunds.
Also, all spring sports competitions will be suspended through the end of spring 2020. The Women’s Bowling Championship next week will also be canceled.
“While we are disappointed that the excellence of our student-athletes after months of preparation will not be showcased, their health and safety as well as the health and safety of the wider community is of paramount importance,” Chair of the Council of Chief Executive Officers for the MEAC and President of Howard University Wayne Frederick said.
- Dare County releases flu clinic dates for fall
- Unrest continues for the second night following Breonna Taylor announcement
- President Trump unveils health care plan, signs order protecting preexisting conditions
- Evictions are happening despite CDC order; Here’s what VA lawmakers are doing about it
- Norfolk man, 11-time felon convicted of gun, drug charges