CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) – Javonte Williams ran for three fourth-quarter touchdowns and No. 18 North Carolina overcame a mistake-filled performance to beat Syracuse 31-6 on Saturday in the season opener for both teams.
Michael Carter added 138 yards of total offense for the Tar Heels, who won in an empty home stadium after the school opted to open with no fans in attendance due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Williams’ three touchdown runs in the fourth quarter helped UNC blow the game open after leading just 10-6 entering the fourth.
Tommy DeVito threw for 112 yards but took seven sacks for the Orange, who had 202 total yards.
- Tillis or Cunningham: Which candidate is receiving more search traffic?
- Brad Pitt, Jennifer Anniston, other stars reunite for ‘Fast Times at Ridgemont High’ virtual table read
- ‘The Grifter’s Club’: New book goes behind the scenes at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago
- Crowds steady on first day of early voting in many parts of central, southwest, and southside Virginia
- Father grateful to Alabama officer for saving son’s life during seizure