NEW YORK (AP) – The Norfolk-based Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort, with 1,000 beds on board, arrived Monday morning in New York Harbor to help relieve the coronavirus crisis gripping the city’s hospitals.
The USNS Comfort, which was also sent to New York City after 9/11, will be used to treat non-coronavirus patients while hospitals treat people with COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus.
The ship’s arrival comes as New York state’s death toll from the coronavirus outbreak climbed Sunday above 1,000, less than a month after the first known infection in the state.
Read more about the Comfort’s aid mission at this link.
- Battling false information: Where to go for facts before Election Day
- CDC lifts ban on US cruises
- One ref’s decision cost a Missouri man $1 million in fantasy football competition
- What you may not know about (not so) secret presidential code names
- Mother of 7-year-old girl who drowned sues Myrtle Beach resort