PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Protesters in Portsmouth spray painted the Confederate monument in the city Wednesday, decapitated all four soldier statues and dismantled other parts.
A man was seriously hurt when one of the statues toppled.
The question about who owns the monument has been a major roadblock in the city’s years-long quest to remove it. But, on Wednesday, the City Attorney said he believed the city does in fact own it based on historical records.
Destructive protests broke out Wednesday night by demonstrators upset with city council’s timeline to move the monument. Below are images from the protest (click on the image to enlarge it).
- Virginia April 19 COVID-19 update: 978 new cases reported day after Va. moves into phase 2; Northam holding briefing Monday
- Newsfeed Now: Jury deliberations set to start in Chauvin trial; NASA launches helicopter over surface of Mars
- Sheriff: 3 dead, 2 wounded in shooting at Wisconsin tavern
- ‘Creepy’ doorbell video shows intruder on NM family’s porch for 6 hours
- Austin shooting suspect arrested, wanted for killing 3 people