PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Protesters in Portsmouth spray painted the Confederate monument in the city Wednesday, decapitated all four soldier statues and dismantled other parts.
A man was seriously hurt when one of the statues toppled.
The question about who owns the monument has been a major roadblock in the city’s years-long quest to remove it. But, on Wednesday, the City Attorney said he believed the city does in fact own it based on historical records.
Destructive protests broke out Wednesday night by demonstrators upset with city council’s timeline to move the monument. Below are images from the protest (click on the image to enlarge it).
- New York City mandating COVID vaccine for all private sector workers
- 5-foot snake pulled from man’s new couch in Florida
- 2 sought in connection to November homicide of Portsmouth woman
- 3-Time Olympic veteran hoping to lead U.S. Nordic Combined team back to podium
- Best gifts currently on sale from Ulta for the beauty lover on your list