PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Protesters in Portsmouth spray painted the Confederate monument in the city Wednesday, decapitated all four soldier statues and dismantled other parts.
A man was seriously hurt when one of the statues toppled.
The question about who owns the monument has been a major roadblock in the city’s years-long quest to remove it. But, on Wednesday, the City Attorney said he believed the city does in fact own it based on historical records.
Destructive protests broke out Wednesday night by demonstrators upset with city council’s timeline to move the monument. Below are images from the protest (click on the image to enlarge it).
- Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron dies at 86
- Virginia Jan. 22 COVID-19 update: Virginia surpasses 6,000 COVID-19 deaths, cases down this week
- Protesters gather, damage Democratic headquarters in Oregon
- No injuries reported after truck catches fire on N. Military Highway
- NFL giving 7,500 vaccinated health care workers free tickets to Super Bowl in Tampa