CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — Talk about being in the right place at the right time. A local family was out to eat when their toddler started choking and a stranger saved her life.
On a playground, Callie Barnes looks like any other three-year-old. But on Saturday, her family almost lost her.
“Callie was kind of, looked like she was in shock. Her mouth was open and she was trying to get air and I realized that she wasn’t breathing at all,” said Callie’s mother, Angel Barnes.
They were eating at The Egg Bistro in Chesapeake. Angel Barnes started screaming for help when a stranger jumped in.
“She sat down and kind of pulled her up and did the Heimlich with her,” Angel said.
After a few tries, Callie started breathing again
“It was probably the scariest thing I’ve ever been through in my life. Not knowing what’s going to happen, if she was going to come to or what. Never in my life thought she would choke on bacon,” Angel said.
Angel only had a moment to thank the young woman who saved her daughter. She said,”The girl and I turn around and looked at each other and just both started bawling. She embraced me, I embraced her.”
Medics took Callie to Chesapeake Regional and eventually the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters. She stayed overnight, after doctors checked to make sure nothing was blocking her lungs.
Angel says that young woman — a perfect stranger — is now her family’s hero. “I don’t think there’s enough thank yous in the world to make up for what she did,” she said.
She hopes this serves as a reminder for people to help others, because you never know the impact a few seconds can have.
“I can only hope that there’s more people in the world like her that aren’t going to look the other way,” said Angel.
Angel said Callie was released from the hospital on Sunday and has been doing well since then.