NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — If you watched the National Dog Show this Thanksgiving you might have missed the namesake of the winning poodle in the non-sporting category.
Kam, an “athletic” poodle is named after another athlete who played in Kam’s home city of Seattle, Kam Chancellor.
Chancellor, now 32, played nearly a decade with the Seahawks as a member of their notorious “Legion of Boom,” winning the Super Bowl in 2014. He’s also a Norfolk native and former star at Virginia Tech, who always made time to come home to inspire local youth.
He retired in 2018 after suffering a severe neck injury that nearly left him paralyzed.
Kam didn’t end up winning, but really got some love from the judges. Claire, a Scottish Deerhound, was this year’s Best in Show.
- Hampton man arrested after shooting on Blackwater Lane
- Live: What else is in Biden’s $1.9T coronavirus plan?
- Virginia Jan. 15 COVID-19 update: 4,795 new cases, 30 new deaths; Virginia adds more people to 1b vaccinations
- Ball security at the top of the list for Bills offense vs. Ravens
- ‘Strong evidence’ suggests Capitol rioters intended to ‘capture and assassinate’ officials, US prosecutors say