HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — As we move into the third week of protests over the death of George Floyd and racial injustice, demonstrations continue across the nation — including throughout Hampton Roads.
Here are the upcoming protests this week that WAVY is aware of:
Thursday | June 11
- Norfolk: The event will begin at noon in front of the L.R. Hill Sports Complex at ODU (43rd Street and Powhatan Ave.). Following pre-march remarks from officials, the march will begin at 12:30 p.m. – going down 43rd street towards Hampton Blvd. With Hampton Blvd. closed to vehicle traffic, the march will turn left on Hampton Blvd. and proceed to 49th Street. After turning left on 49th Street, the crowd will gather at Kaufman for a dialogue about social injustice. The ODU Police Department and University President John Broderick are helping coordinate the march and plan to speak at the event.
- Poquoson: A prayer vigil for peace is scheduled for from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the north side of Victory Blvd between City Hall Avenue and Wythe Creek Road.
Saturday | June 13
- Norfolk: “The 757 Birthworker Rally for Black Lives” from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Meeting at the Norfolk Premium Outlets.
- Portsmouth: Peaceful protest march beginning at 1 p.m.
- Meeting at Norcom High School.
- Dress in suits or casual dress and wear masks.
- Weather permitting – reschedule date set for Saturday, June 20.
- Virginia Beach: “Black Lives Matter” protest from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- The protest will begin on Haygood Road outside of Bayside High School. At 5:15 p.m., the group will march to Aragona Park, which is about 1.5 miles.
- Newport News: The rally is scheduled to go from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. with the Newport News Police Departmnet at 570 McLawhorne Drive. The organizer says participants will march down Jefferson Avenue in remembrance of George Floyd, police brutality and to work towards ending racism… and most importantly to represent that black lives matter.
Click here to send us an email about other planned demonstrations in Hampton Roads this week.
Previous events this week:
Monday | June 8
- Chesapeake: Event planned in front of City Hall beginning at 4 p.m.
- A large crowd is anticipated.
- City facilities located at the Municipal Center on Cedar Road will close for the day at 3 p.m.
- All other City offices and facilities, located elsewhere in the City, will remain open regular hours on Monday.
- Traffic in the Cedar Road area may be heavier than normal throughout the late afternoon and evening. Motorists may wish to find alternate routes to avoid congestion.
- Portsmouth: “Park & Pray” from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- 2714 Frederick Boulevard
- Wearing a mask is mandatory
- Remain inside your vehicles at all times
- Williamsburg: “Nightly Black Lives Matter Protest!” from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Meeting at the Williamsburg-James City County Courthouse on Monticello Avenue
Tuesday | June 9
- Newport News: “Peaceful Protest for Racial Reconciliation & Prayer for the 757” at 5:30 p.m.
- Tech Center
- Newport News: “A Mother’s March” beginning at 7 p.m.
- Meeting in front of JT’s Bar & Grill, 3301 Washington Ave.
- Ending on the steps of Newport News City Hall.
- The conclusion of the walk will have speakers leading the crowd in a moment of silence for George Floyd that will last 8 minutes 46 seconds.
- Speakers include N.N. Commonwealth Attorney, Howard Gwynn and Sanu Dieng of Executive Director of Transitions.
- Chesapeake: Black Lives Matter protest march in Chesapeake at 3376 S. Military Highway from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. It will run from Military Highway and George Washington to the police station and back.
- Police: Man allegedly offers two females money for a sexual act; one was a juvenile
- Dominion Investment Group executive sentenced for $25M investment fraud
- NN Police: Suspect apprehended after discharging gun outside home
- Local Boy Scout troop’s equipment stolen twice in two weeks
- Williamsburg Police asking for help finding drivers that may have witnessed fatal crash