VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A teenager who was accused in an alleged prom threat earlier this year had one weapons charge tossed, and another one set aside.
Michael Coleman, 19, and an unidentified 17-year-old were charged in June after police said they got word of an alleged threat against Bayside High School’s prom at The Westin in Town Center.
Coleman was charged with two counts of carrying a concealed weapon and conspiracy to commit a terrorist act. The teen was charged with conspiracy to commit a terrorist act and possession of a firearm by a juvenile.
Prosecutors later nolle prossed — or withdrew — the terror charges against both suspects, citing a lack of evidence.
Coleman was back in court Thursday for a trial on the concealed weapons charges.
A spokesperson with the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney said one of the charges was withdrawn. This charge was related to a gun found a room at the Westin Coleman was staying in.
Coleman was not in the room when police responded to the hotel. When officers tried to stop him, Coleman took off running and allegedly dropped a 9mm handgun gun.
A judge dismissed the charge related to the handgun in Thursday’s trial.
Coleman is also facing unrelated weapons charges in Norfolk.
Norfolk police said he shot four people on Azalea Garden Road the day before the alleged prom plot.
Stay with WAVY.com for the latest developments.