‘We don’t have anything’: Va. Beach family recovering after major fire


VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — For the Loftus family, 2018 hasn’t gotten off to a very good start.

The family of six and their two dogs were displaced after an accidental fire caused by an electrical issue gutted their home in the 3000 block of Blitz Court on Wednesday morning.

“Faulty wiring, the whole wall went up in flames,” said Nicole Loftus. “We’re gonna be starting from scratch.”

It all started in the living room.

“By the time we saw it, the whole wall was just engulfed,” Loftus said.

Luckily no one was hurt. Family and pets made it out safely, but that’s about it.

“It’s destroyed, everything is just melted, char-broiled or just gone.”

Loftus, her husband Chris, and their four children’s things now sit in four plastic bags.

“That is the extent of our house,” Loftus said.

Mostly smoke-stained clothes belonging to their four children remain. Christmas presents opened a little over two weeks ago, all gone.

“We don’t have anything. We’ve gotta find a house immediately, as soon as possible,” Loftus said. “We have no furniture, no little things, dishes, school supplies.”

While they don’t need criticism about not properly insuring their home, they do need help for their four kids.

Nicole’s sister started a page on YouCaring.com in hopes of getting their lives back to some sort of normal. To donate, click here.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook