HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia State Police say they responded to 362 traffic crashes and 321 disabled vehicles in less than 24-hours due to the recent weather.
The incidents have occurred between 12 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 31, through 9 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 31.
The majority of the traffic crashes have involved only damage to vehicles and few serious injuries.
This is despite advisories officials say they’ve given to motorists ahead of the expected winter weather update this weekend.
Virginia State Police have responded to multiple incidents including:
- Richmond Division: 71 disabled vehicles & 117 traffic crashes
- Culpeper Division: 30 disabled vehicles & 31 traffic crashes
- Appomattox Division: 41 disabled Vehicles & 39 traffic crashes
- Wytheville Division: 39 disabled vehicles & 19 traffic crashes
- Chesapeake Division: 47 disabled vehicles & 60 traffic crashes
- Salem Division: 49 disabled vehicles & 52 traffic crashes
- Fairfax Division: 44 disabled vehicles & 46 traffic crashes
Virginians are still advised to avoid travel through Sunday afternoon and evening.
If you must travel, please practice the following safe traffic tips:
• Make sure all windows and lights are clear of snow before heading out.
• Always buckle up – driver and all passengers.
• Drive distraction-free, put down the phone, and keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
• Slow speed for conditions.
• Use headlights to increase your visibility and to help other drivers see you better.
• Share the road responsibly with VDOT vehicles and emergency vehicles.