LEXINGTON, Va. (WFXR) – After hours of discussion, Lexington City Council unanimously voted to rename Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery.
Earlier Thursday night, six speakers joined City Council via Zoom, to voice their thoughts. All six voiced support in renaming the cemetery.
Another larger group of citizens emailed City Council with the majority also supporting renaming the cemetery.
City Council decided against forming a committee, but instead plans to have the public join in on the renaming process. They plan to have a name decided on by September 3, 2020.
The cemetery is where the Confederate general was buried. It was formerly known as the Presbyterian Cemetery and was renamed in 1949.
- NC COVID-19 update: 7,181 new COVID-19 cases reported with 122 new deaths
- First case of COVID-19 variant reported in North Carolina
- Sandbridge fire leaves 4 people, 3 dogs without a home
- Virginia COVID-19 Jan. 23 update: Over 4,900 new cases, nearly 1,400 in Hampton Roads, positivity rate at 12.8%
- ‘Million-dollar’ cities surging, despite pandemic