LEXINGTON, Va. (WFXR) – After hours of discussion, Lexington City Council unanimously voted to rename Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery.
Earlier Thursday night, six speakers joined City Council via Zoom, to voice their thoughts. All six voiced support in renaming the cemetery.
Another larger group of citizens emailed City Council with the majority also supporting renaming the cemetery.
City Council decided against forming a committee, but instead plans to have the public join in on the renaming process. They plan to have a name decided on by September 3, 2020.
The cemetery is where the Confederate general was buried. It was formerly known as the Presbyterian Cemetery and was renamed in 1949.
- Oceanfront businesses forced to close some locations, rethink operations due to lack of help
- Dominion Energy’s $1M EnergyShare Expansion provides bill assistance options for small businesses and residents
- Congress members from Virginia urge USDA to ensure children can access meals amid COVID-19
- Man sought to have his child porn victim killed, prosecutors say
- Mother to appear in court Thursday for child endangerment charges following 2019 death of 3-year-old girl in Wythe County