POUND, Va. (WRIC) — An inmate at Red Onion State Prison was killed Friday, the Department of Corrections said in a release. The offender’s cellmate is suspected of the attack.
“The 47-year-old male inmate was pronounced dead at Dickenson Community Hospital at 6:49 p.m. The inmate was in general population, serving a life sentence without parole for first-degree murder. His name is being withheld while the VADOC attempts to reach his next of kin,” the Department of Corrections said.
The cellmate, a 54-year-old man, is currently serving a life sentence for first-degree murder and other various charges.
VADOC says the incident is being investigated as a homicide.
Red Onion State Prison is located in Pound, Virginia.
- Newport News Schools launches school supply donation drive
- 757 online health initiative kicks off
- Waiting to deliver her baby — and waiting for the VEC to deliver her unemployment payments
- NC August 12 COVID-19 update: 1,166 new cases, 45 deaths; test counts corrected due to discrepancy
- WHO urges public to avoid routine dental cleanings during pandemic