Virginia family becomes ill after eating wild mushrooms

News
faifax+mushroom_1534957371511.jpg

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (NBC) — Wild mushrooms recently left a Fairfax County family sick, and now fire officials are warning residents about the dangers of picking the fleshy fungus.

The family picked the mushrooms late last month from a courtyard near their apartment and used them to make a meal. A few hours later, the family started to have abdominal pains and vomiting, fire officials say.

A number of mushroom species can be profoundly toxic to the liver, but the firefighters who responded to the scene had no clue what kind of mushrooms the family ingested.

To help the hospital determine how to best treat the family, firefighters combed through the courtyard of the family’s home to find the mushrooms they ate. Fire officials did not say where the family lives. 

They were able to find some, and toxicology specialists identified them as Green-spored Lepiota.

According to the Missouri Department of Conservation, the Green-spored Lepiota is common mushroom, but it can make you very sick. Fortunately, the mushroom does not cause liver failure or death.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook

Trending stories