Virginia Beach family says hoverboard started fire inside home


VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A Virginia Beach family is reminding you to be careful after they say a hoverboard started a fire inside their home.

The family said the device was charging when the flames started.

The fire broke out on Tuesday while they were already in bed for the night.  

We’re told quick thinking and being prepared kept this situation from having a different outcome. 

The carpet is charred, black soot is on the wall and the smell of burnt plastic lingers.

Casey Edwards said she’s thankful that’s all they have to clean up.

“I knew it could happen but you just don’t think it could happen to you,” Casey Edwards said.

She said the device was plugged into the wall in her child’s room when the fire alarms started blaring. 

“When I first got out of my bed, I didn’t even know there was a fire,” Kayleigh Edwards said. “I thought there was a burglar in the house.”

“I saw kind of a burst of orange and I wasn’t quite sure what it was,” Casey said.

Casey said she and her husband ran to get their kids and saw flames coming from her daughter’s room.

“The flames were probably about waist high when I saw it and not even 30 seconds later by the time we got the fire extinguisher, it got the curtains,” she said.

Casey said her husband was able to put out the fire himself and they were shocked to see the hoverboard there after the flames were gone. 

Casey credits her daughter for the family being prepared.

“My oldest daughter, she took a fire class in elementary school and she came home and was like ‘we have to have a fire extinguisher upstairs and downstairs,'” Casey said. “At the time, she kind of kept on us about it so we did; we put one upstairs and downstairs.”

She’s also urging everyone to check the batteries on their smoke and fire alarms.

“Without our smoke alarms, it would’ve been a very different outcome,” Casey said.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says it’s aware of more than 250 hoverboard incidents related to fires or overheating since 2015.

The safety commission also says all hoverboards should be compliant with a certain safety standard, and Casey says this hoverboard was. 

However, the safety commission says even with that compliance, the device isn’t fireproof. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook