Toano homeowner in hospital after attempting to extinguish house fire

jcc diascund road fire 2_1547394172109.jpg.jpg

TOANAO, Va. (WAVY) — One homeowner is in the hospital after they attempted to extinguish a fire that broke out in their home early Sunday morning. 

According to the James City County Fire Department, the fire happened in the 8700 block of Diascund Rd around 3 a.m. 

The homeowner was awakened by smoke and found the fire near their wood stove. Firefighters say the resident attempted to put the fire out themself, but then left the home and dialed 911.  

Crews arrived on scene and made contact with the homeowner, who needed to be transported to Sentara Regional Medical Center. 

Firefighters got the fire out and say it was determined to be accidental in nature. The homeowner is reportedly in stable condition.

JCC Fire Departments were assisted by New Kent County, York County and the City of Williamsburg Fire Departments.

Stay with for any further information. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook