Teenage boy burned by device on Christmas Day

News

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – A teenage boy was taken to the hospital on Christmas Day after a device he was carrying that contained lighter fluid caught fire.

Dispatchers received the emergency call for a burn victim at 3:48 p.m. in the 100 block of Pleasant Court.

Deputy Fire Chief Kenneth Lay says when fire crews arrived on scene they didn’t find a fire, but a teen with burns to his arms and hands after his jacket had caught on fire from the device.

Fire officials say the teen was riding his bike at the time of the accident.

The boy was taken to CHKD to be treated for his burns. The severity or degree of his burns are unknown.

Stay with WAVY.com for updates.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook