Suspect charged in shooting inside MacArthur Center denied bond

News

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — One of the suspects charged in connection to a shooting inside MacArthur Center has been denied bond.

Norfolk police said officers charged four people following the shooting — including 18-year-old Kevin Holloman, of Norfolk, who was denied bond in a hearing Friday morning, and will remain at the Hampton Roads Regional Jail

The shooting happened Thursday, Feb. 14, when police say a fight between two groups escalated until shots were fired. A 16-year-old and Holloman were injured in the incident.

Holloman is charged with felonious assault, use of a firearm, conspiracy to commit a felony and discharge of a firearm in a public place.

In court Friday, Holloman’s defense said the 18-year-old has no violent criminal history and is not a threat to flee because of his injury.

Holloman entered court Friday in wheelchair with his left leg elevated.

Prosecutors said the Norfolk Police Department has certified Holloman as a gang member — and that his social media also proves his gang affiliation.

The prosecution said the incident was the result of an ongoing dispute between two rival gangs — the “Cream 2K” of Norfolk and the “Portsmouth 300.”

Holloman’s defense denied he has any gang member, saying that he entered mall without a weapon — and that the weapon fell out during a dispute among others.

The defense said Holloman fired a shot in self-defense after he himself was wounded.

Holloman and two others charged following the incident, 22-year-old Dvegan M. Melvin and 21-year-old Dquan Z. Melvin, were arraigned earlier this week. Preliminary hearings have been set for April 4.

Dvegan M. Melvin is charged with two counts of felonious assault, use of a firearm and discharge of a firearm in a public place. Dquan Z. Melvin is charged with felonious assault, use of a firearm, conspiracy to commit a felony and possession of a firearm by convicted felon.

A fourth suspect in the case, 18-year-old Shawn D. Mitchell, of Portsmouth, is facing a charge of having a concealed weapon.

Police Chief Larry Boone sent 10 On Your Side a statement that said in part, the fight and subsequent shooting was an isolated incident.

As a result of the shooting, however, the department plans train mall security “to work seamlessly in response to these situations.”

“…Last year we celebrated the lowest reported crime in 34 years and currently have not had a homicide since 2018. Norfolk is a safe city; violent crime has been trending down for the past two years, and the police department will do whatever is necessary to promote and protect the safety of its citizens.”
-Chief Larry Boone

Look for updates on Holloman’s hearing later today on air and online.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook