Suffolk house fire displaces family of five

Suffolk Glasgow Street Fire

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A family of five was displaced late Tuesday evening after their Suffolk home was destroyed in a fire.

Suffolk officials said firefighters were called to a two-story house on Glasgow Street — in the Burbage Landing neighborhood — around 11:50 p.m. for a fire.

A fire was seen at the back of the house when the first units arrived. One adult and three children were outside the house at the time.

Officials said the mother was alerted by the smell of smoke and got the family out safely.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control shortly before 12:30 a.m. Wednesday. It was later ruled that the fire was accidentally caused by an electrical issue.

Officials said the Chesapeake Fire Department assisted in the response, due to another fire at the Meridian Obici Apartments in Suffolk.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook