Residents displaced in house fire in Denbigh section of Newport News


NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Residents have been displaced after a house fire in Denbigh section of Newport News caught fire, officials say.

10 On Your Side has learned it was a family of seven. 

Don Morrison and wife Debbie say they are thankful no one was hurt.

“The family being safe is number one, number one, everything else is replaceable,” said Don. 

Debbie says she was on the way to work when her kids called and said a small fire started in the garage, so she rushed home and the flames spread quickly. 

“Everything is completely gone, everything, but we are here,” said Debbie. 

The Fire Marshal said that the fire started in the dryer vent. When 10 On Your Side pulled up to the scene on Thursday there were fire crews working another hot spot. Fire officials say a small fire traveled through the heating and AC unit.

The Morrisons say their family, friends and co-workers have been nothing short of amazing and supportive. 

“One of my neighbors gave her coat right off her back, you see the love of the people,” Debbie said. “We are a family and we are tough and we will get through this and we will be alright.”

A fundraiser has been set up for the Morrison family. You can donate here.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook