HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — As the country has its the fifth week of protests over the death of George Floyd and racial injustice, demonstrations continue across the nation — including throughout Hampton Roads.
Here are the upcoming protests this week that WAVY is aware of:
Friday | June 26
- Newport News: Greater Hilton Area residents in support of Black Lives Matter will gather at the Confederate monument “Johnny Rebel” in Denbigh at 5 p.m. Friday to “voice their support for the immediate removal of the symbol of hatred and bigotry.”
Saturday | June 27
- Chesapeake: Unity in the Community will begin at noon at Limitless Church, 625 Independence Parkway in Chesapeake.
Sunday | June 28
- Ocracoke: Ocracoke March for Justice will be held at the north end of the village near the dump starting at 5 p.m. The peaceful march will go from the north end to the Ocracoke Community Square docks. At the docks, attendees will gather for music, speakers and 8 minutes and 46 seconds of silence in honor of George Floyd.
- Herring joins coalition urging Supreme Court to protect rights of Temporary Protected Status holders
- Chesapeake family still searching for answers in loved one’s death 6 years later
- Norfolk, Hampton partner to promote public project procurement opportunities
- Mariners’ Museum commemorates ‘Battle of Hampton Roads’
- ‘She’s a Brickhouse’- The Z launches virtual series to celebrate Women’s History Month