Public hearing set for proposed Suffolk schools budget

News
Hearing_tonight_for_proposed_Suffolk_sch_8_20190314130128

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A public hearing is being held tonight on the new budget for Suffolk Public Schools.

The nearly $174 million proposed budget for the 2019-2020 school year includes a 2.25 percent cost-of-living increase for teachers, while support staff would get a half-percent cost-of-living raise.

Suffolk schools spokesperson Bethanne Bradshaw says the total proposed raise for support staff will be equivalent to 3 percent.

Permanent part-time staff would see a 1.5-percent increase under the proposed budget.

It also includes hiring six more guidance counselors and one more career and tech teacher. 

The plan also sets aside money for an excel program as well as an out-of-school suspension center.

This proposed budget represents a $5.3 million increase over last year’s budget. State funding makes up nearly 60 percent of the budget, while city funds will cover the remaining 40 percent.

The hearing will be at 7 p.m. at the Suffolk City Council Chambers.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook