PORTSMOUTH, Va (WAVY) – Six people are being helped by the Red Cross after they were forced out of their home after it caught fire on Wednesday.
Resident Rubbin Felder says he had a rude awakening in the home on Effingham Street that morning.
“I woke up Wednesday morning about 6, 6:30. Smoke was coming from up under the house. I woke everyone up and called the fire department they told everybody to get out,” he said.
When fire officials arrived, they saw flames coming from the floor at the home. Officials say the fire has been ruled an accident and the cause was an electric malfunction.
Felder says he feels like he can’t catch a break. Burglars took two flat screen TVs out of the home after the residents were forced to leave.
Felder says times are rough, but believes through his faith that he can get through it all.
“Don’t go ballistic or lose my mind. You know things in life happens. Just deal with it. Give it to god and it will work itself out,” he said.