PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Virginia is holding a General Election on Tuesday, November 2, 2021. The races on the ballot include Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, House of Delegates, in addition to some local offices.
See who is on your ballot by viewing the candidate lists on the Virginia Department of Elections website.
- First day of in-person early voting: Friday, September 17, 2021.
- Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration: Tuesday, October 12, 2021.
- Deadline to apply for a ballot by mail: Friday, October 22 2021.
- Voter registration offices open for early voting: October 23 and October 30, 2021.
- Last day of in-person early voting at local voter registration office: October 30, 2021at 5:00 p.m.
If you need to register to vote, or apply for a ballot online, you can do both using the online Citizen Portal.
On election day, polls are open in Virginia from 6 a.m. until 7 p.m.
Terry McAuliffe (D) and Glenn Youngkin (R) are running for governor of Virginia. Incumbent Gov. Ralph Northam (D) cannot seek re-election due to term limits in the Commonwealth. However, a former governor is allowed to run for a second term in a future election, which is what McAuliffe is doing. He served as governor of Virginia from 2014 until 2018.