Person displaced after Newport News house fire

News
NN Chesapeake Ave house fire_1521986025146.jpg.jpg

Newport News Firefighters battled a house fire in the 300 block of Chesapeake Avenue around 8:00 Sunday morning.

Fire officials say the house has a lot of damage, but will be livable after some restoration work.

They believe the blaze started in the fireplace.

Battalion Chief Kenneth Lay told WAVY.com, “The renter stated he had a fire in fireplace last night . He woke up this morning and it appears there was a failure in the fireplace and at some point, we had embers get down into the crawl space to burn up the majority of the area around the fireplace.”

Fire officials say they had to use multiple access points, because it is an older home.

They recommend people know what previous renovations have taken place in their homes — to prevent something like this from happening again.

There were no injuries reported.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook

Trending stories