Person displaced after fire in Portsmouth

Portsmouth Fire Generic

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Firefighters responded a fire in the 4500 block of King Street early Sunday morning. 

Officials say they received the call at 5:30 a.m.. Upon arrival, they found that a couch was on fire in the living room of the residence. The fire was under control within ten minutes. 

The occupant of the home and animal were displaced, according to officials. They are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross. 

There were no injuries reported. 

The cause of the fire was due to poorly discarded smoking material near home furnishings. In addition, the home was equipped with two smoke detectors that were not functional.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook