One dog dead, another taken to vet following Va. Beach house fire

News

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — One dog died and another was taken to a vet following a house fire Wednesday morning in Virginia Beach, officials say.

The fire was at a home on Paiute Road — which is in Arrowhead neighborhood, and close to Interstate 64. Crews were called to the scene around 7:20 a.m., according to dispatch.

Virginia Beach Fire Department spokesman Art Kohn said the fire was brought under control in less than 20 minutes. No one was home at the time of the fire, but Kohn said two dogs were inside.

One of the dogs died, while the other was taken to a veterinary hospital in in serious condition with breathing problems.

Officials later said the dog was doing better.

A woman in the neighborhood told 10 On Your Side her husband was heading to the golf course when he saw smoke coming from the house, and called 911.

Officials said the fire was contained beneath the first floor stairwell. It was not immediately clear what may have caused the fire, but officials said investigators believe the fire may have been accidental.

This is a developing story. Stay with WAVY.com for the latest developments.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook