Officials: Portsmouth home sustains ‘minimal damage’ in fire

Portsmouth Mt. Vernon Avenue Fire_1546263551223.jpg

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A fire caused some damage to a Portsmouth home early Monday morning, officials say.

Portsmouth firefighters and rescue personnel were dispatched to a fire at a home in to the 600 block of Mt. Vernon Avenue just after 7:15 a.m.

Crews arrived three minutes later to find smoke and flames visible from the front door, officials say.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in less than 15 minutes. Officials say there was minimal damage to the home, and no injuries.

It’s unclear whether anyone was displaced in the fire.

Officials say the fire appeared to have been caused by a space heater that was operating in close proximity to a rug.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook