KILL DEVIL HILLS, N.C. (WAVY) — The fire department in Kill Devil Hills says two people have died after a large house fire Sunday morning.
According to first responders, the Kill Devil Hills Fire Department was made aware of a fire in the 200 block of Pine Grove Trail just before 4:30 a.m. The Colington and Nags Head fire departments, along with Kill Devil Hills Police, and Dare County EMS responded to the call as well.
By the time crews were able to put out the blaze, the two-story home was heavily damaged.
Later Sunday morning, fire officials confirmed two people had died as a result of the fire. Officials say the victims have been identified as 39-year-old Anna Rachell Horton and her son Sebastian Lopez.
A memorial near the home has been built as neighbors honor the loss of the victims.
A GoFundMe has been set up to to help the victims’ family following their deaths.
Investigators are still working to learn the cause of the fire.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- BLOG: Heavy rain, flash flooding possible this weekend
- Peninsula SPCA asking for pet calendar photo submissions during Clear the Shelters
- ‘So far everything has worked out smoothly’: Students say of COVID-19 college move in
- Colonial Downs cancels remainder of 2020 races following positive COVID-19 tests
- If you haven’t received your $500-per-child stimulus check, the IRS has good news