Wild horse saved from choking scare in Corolla

OBX

Courtesy – Corolla Wild Horse Fund/RJStein Photography

COROLLA, N.C. (WAVY) — A wild horse is lucky to be alive after a recent choking scare in Corolla.

According to a social media post from the Corolla Wild Horse Fund Monday morning, one resident called authorities regarding a horse, Junior, who appeared to be in distress.

The call came in just in time, according to the organization who was able to diagnose Junior’s condition and treat him as soon as he came in.

The incident happened Wednesday, June 30, after witnesses saw Junior was “running around frantically, rolling, and in a lot of discomfort.” Officials from the wild horse fund noted that Junior showed behaviors similar to a horse who died from choking the year before.

Fortunately, authorities recognized the signs and were able to get Junior help. The horse is expected to make a full recovery. In addition to the choke, he also lacerated his eyes pretty badly when he was rolling in the sand.

The wild horse fund is using the incident to remind residents to continue distancing themselves from the wild horses.

“We can’t say for sure if Junior was choking on something he was fed, or on something he got out of the garbage, but either way, the message is the same. Please, please, please be responsible and thoughtful if you are staying in the horses’ habitat.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook