OCRACOKE, N.C. (WAVY) — A section of North Carolina Highway 12 has reopened after being closed Monday due to overwash.
NCDOT announced Monday morning that the overwash caused closures between the ferry terminal and the National Park Service’s Pony Pens. Just after 3 p.m. it announced that stretch had reopened, but some sand and water remained.
However, the road could be closed again Monday, especially around high tides at 7:30 p.m. The overwashed road also led to suspension of the Hatteras Inlet Ferry.
Drivers are asked to used extreme caution in the area.
- Coast Guard Mid-Atlantic sets up 3 security zones with prohibited entry ahead of inauguration
- Last-minute basket lifts Old Dominion over Rice
- Jenkins carries Norfolk State past Delaware State 87-76
- No. 18 Virginia routs No. 12 Clemson to stay perfect in ACC
- Portsmouth Restaurant Week to kick off with more than 25 participating businesses