KITTY HAWK, N.C. (WAVY) — A Greenville man drowned Friday after going for a swim around 3 a.m. in the ocean off Kitty Hawk.
Kitty Hawk police say they responded around 3:15 a.m. to the 5300 block of North Virginia Dare Trail for the drowning.
They learned the victim, 26-year-old Zacheus Dominetae Sutton, had been swimming in with a friend when the two got caught in a rip current and were pulled out to sea.
The friend was able to make it back to shore safely and call for help.
Police said that rescue crews searched the area extensively with Sutton’s body discovered several hours later near where he was last seen.
A moderate rip current risk is still in effect for most of the Outer Banks through Friday night.
An earlier post listed the victim’s name incorrectly as ‘Zacheus D. Dominetae.’ The post now reflects the corrected name of ‘Zacheus Dominetae Sutton.’
- BLOG: Isaias brings tornadoes, wind and rain to our area
- Damage: Photos, videos of Hurricane Isaias flooding and damage in Myrtle Beach area
- Structure fires in Ocean Isle Beach after Isaias landfall
- Damage reported throughout Suffolk after possible tornado, King’s Fork High in Suffolk opened as emergency shelter
- Isaias live updates: Storm damage, throughout Hampton Roads, 100K-plus without power