MT. GILEAD, N.C. (WGHP) — Authorities have found the remains of a missing woman caught on video getting into a dumpster but never getting out before the dumpster emptied, according to Montgomery County Sheriff Chris Watkins.
Crews have been searching for the remains of 30-year-old Stephanie Cox, of Burlington, at the Uwharrie Environmental landfill for the past three days, Watkins said.
On Monday, crews found Cox’s remains.
Burlington police said videos showed Cox arriving alone at a dumpster at Five Below on Jan. 30. In surveillance video, no one else is seen on the property until the truck arrives to service the dumpster.
Family members told police that it was not uncommon for Cox to collect items from local dumpster.
Latest posts from WAVY.com
- In-state tuition for undocumented immigrants passes Virginia House and Senate
- YCSD: Schedule adjustments made again for Grafton Complex students
- Sister of woman killed in Pasquotank attempted escape says life will never be the same
- VB couple nearly killed after crash involving suspected drunk driver
- Hadsell murder trial day 2: Attorneys’ opening statements, victim’s mother and sister testify