WILSON, N.C. (AP/WNCN) — A funeral is being held for a 5-year-old boy who was fatally shot in Wilson.
Services are scheduled for tonight at 7 p.m. for Cannon Hinnant. Details about the service were also mentioned in Cannon’s obituary.
Darius N. Sessoms of Wilson was named a suspect in the killing immediately following the death of Hinnant, Wilson police said.
Sessoms was captured Monday at a residence in Goldsboro. The Wilson Police Department thanked the U.S. Marshals, Goldsboro police, and the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office.
Sessoms was charged with first-degree murder and received no bond.
The incident was reported just after 5:30 p.m. in the 5100 block of Archers Road, which is in the northern part of the city, according to police.
Family members said Cannon was riding his bicycle when he was shot and killed along Archers Road on Sunday.
Officers arrived to find Hinnant suffering from a gunshot wound.
EMS workers and police began “performing lifesaving efforts” at the scene, police said.
Hinnant was taken to Wilson Medical Center but later died, police said.
- Watch Live: Unrest continues for the second night following Breonna Taylor announcement
- President Trump unveils healthcare plan, signs order protecting preexisting conditions
- Evictions are happening despite CDC order; Here’s what VA lawmakers are doing about it
- Norfolk man, 11-time felon convicted of gun, drug charges
- Virginia Beach schools are prepared to bring back students. Here are their precautions