CAPE HATTERAS, N.C. (WAVY) — The Coast Guard and good Samaritans suspended the search for a missing tanker ship crewmember on Friday afternoon.
Watchstanders at the Coast Guard’s Fifth District command center received a report of a man overboard off the Hellas Gladiator tanker ship on Wednesday afternoon.
The mand went overboard about 400 miles east of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
An Air Station Elizabeth City HC-130 Hercules aircraft flew 22 sorites for about 45 total hours searching nearly 4,000 square miles.
“We would like to extend our condolences to the family of this individual, and thank the vessel Hellas Gladiator and our maritime partners enrolled in the AMVER program for providing a continuous search effort throughout this case,” said Lt. j.g. Victoria Moon, operations unit controller at the Coast Guard’s Fifth District command center.
“By volunteering to participate in the AMVER program our professional mariners ensure that an effective, and rapid response is conducted.”
- Bridging the gap: Advocacy group 200+ Men calls for safer interactions with police
- 19-year-old found dead after running multiple blocks after being shot, Fayetteville, NC police say
- Drone video shows swarm of blacktip sharks off Florida coast
- Biden to deliver first primetime address as president on anniversary of COVID-19 shutdowns
- When is Daylight Saving Time?