HALIFAX, N.C. (WAVY) — Two Virginia men were arrested on gun and multiple drug charges earlier this week in North Carolina.
On Jan. 13 around 2:30 p.m., the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office stopped a 2020 Hyundai car for an “unsafe movement violation” on I-95, northbound, near the 173-mile post.
Deputies say a search of the vehicle resulted in them finding and seizing about five pounds of marijuana, a handgun, U.S. Currency, drug paraphernalia, and MDMA (Ecstasy pills).
Lamar Maalik Byrd, 23 of Mattaponi, Virginia, and Nicholas Kyle Joseph, 22 of Painter, Virginia, were arrested and charged with:
- Possession with intent to sell and deliver marijuana
- Felony possession of marijuana
- Possession with intent sell deliver MDMA
- Maintaining a vehicle for a controlled substance
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Carrying a concealed weapon
Byrd and Joseph were incarcerated in the Halifax County Detention Center in North Carolina under a $15,000.00 secured bond each with a court date of February 17, 2021, pending.