NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Police and medics responded to a shooting that left a woman injured and a suspect in custody in the 9500 block of 17th Street.
Dispatchers received the call at 10:15. p.m. on Saturday.
On Sunday police updated the incident to homicide after the 23-year-old woman died at the hospital.
When officers arrived to the scene on Saturday, they found Denell N. Brooks of Chesapeake suffering from gunshot wounds.
Brooks was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital where she died from her injuries, police said.
Following an investigation 22-year-old India R. Lowe of Canton, Michigan was arrested and charged with second-degree murder and use of a firearm.
Lowe is currently being held in the Norfolk City Jail without bond, according to police.
The Norfolk Police Department asks anyone with additional information to contact the Norfolk Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP or submit a tip through the P3Tips mobile app.
This is a developing news story, stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Friday night football returns to Hampton Roads for first time in over a year
- Chesapeake man convicted of murdering wife in 2017
- Old Dominion win stay hot, knock off Middle Tennessee 67-61
- Lady Gaga’s French bulldogs recovered safely
- Full Snow Moon is this weekend, and you can see 3 planets at sunrise