NNPD: Alleged sexual assault near Kohl’s never happened

News

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Newport News police say a sexual assault that allegedly occurred near a Kohl’s last year never actually happened.

According to Newport News Police Public Information Officer Lou Thurston, a 17-year-old teen told police she was walking to her vehicle, parked at the Kohl’s parking lot in the 500 block of Bland Boulevard, when a man with offensive body odor and rotting teeth grabbed her and dragged her to the side of the store where he allegedly sexually assaulted her. The teen told police the alleged assault happened November 7, 2014.

The teen described her alleged attacker as a black male about 5’8’ tall, weighing between 300 and 400 pounds, having short braids and rotting teeth.

After months of investigating, police received notice that the DNA submitted for testing matched that of a white male from Newport News and did not match the description of the alleged subject.

Detectives continued to investigate and discovered the assault never occurred at the shopping center or anywhere else.

Thurston said the teen faces a misdemeanor charge of filing a false police report. Since she was a juvenile when the offense occurred, she will be charged as a juvenile.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook